Monday 29 June 2009

Busy Bees






Things have been happening in our house over the weekend!
I showed 007 a 'family home' for house sparrows in the garden center during the week, with a veiw to buying one - 'not paying that for a few bits of wood' say's he! I can make one if you want one!
So make it he did, in the shade, in the garden, yesterday! It still needs finishing with a bit of roofing felt and some varnish, then it will be a 'des res' for three house sparrow families. ( Apparently they like to live next door to each other but in separate compartments. ) Clever lad - now where do we put it? under the tree on the fence ? (cats?) on the shed wall? not enough room between that and the greenhouse for them to fly out! on the house wall? that means climbing a high ladder? .........
While he was doing all this I sat in the cool of my sewing room and produced these.......yes! I have started Jackies quilt and using Eleanor Burns methods of 'assembly line' sewing these 32 blocks went together so quickly. This afternoon I will sew the next blocks, then I will be ready for sewing them altogether tomorrow. Jackie will be suprised at how much I have done - she has been away all weekend and borrowed my car to go to see her husband in Alton.......she will bring it back later today then needs to collect hers from her daughter Aimee.
Must go and do the h****w**k before it gets too hot.........22c already and its only 9:30 am.

6 comments:

sewali said...

Aha, an Irish Chain quilt, one of my favourite designs, and lovely colours too! Jackie will be thrilled I'm sure.

Kath said...

We have a multi-compartment sparrow house too, built by Himself. He calls it Spadger Villas!

Sewing Granny said...

This one doesn't have a name yet Mrs Flummery - but I expect it will.....

Jackie chose the design and the colours - we spent 2 hours in Village fabrics in Wallingford while she had every bolt of purple to lavender fabric out and compared it!!! I did spend over £100 pounds on just the fabric for the top so I suppose the assistant was satisfied.

QuiltSue said...

Sparrow terrace looks great, clever 007.

What size did you eventually decide to do the quilt?

Sewing Granny said...

Queen size quilt - 96" x 116" approx Sue. I have sewn quite a lot over the last few days - mostly in the morning when the sewing room is the coolest in the house So I am getting on....5 rows of 7 blocks done so far have to do 9 - then the fun start with seminole borders.

BilboWaggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.