Monday 6 July 2009

July already?

I have got on quite well with the Quilt for Jackie, and am very pleased with it so far. The colours don't show up very well here - the center patches are very lilac fossil fern fabric.

I have the border fabrics cut waiting for me to sew - there will be three more borders - two plain and one seminole. This is a big quilt for a big bed, bigger than this one here.

Now the weather has cooled down a bit I should be able to finish the top this week in comfort, I found my workroom just too hot last week.

*******************************

The garden seems to have liked the sun though and plants are growing fast - these tomotoes are in the greenhouse and have needed watering every evening. there are lots of little green toms but nothing ready to eat yet! I have a feeling that I will be having to find homes for them when they all ripen together! or putting a lot of them in the deepfreeze to use for soups during the winter.















Just thought you would like to see these little beauties! DH loves these and wants to know why I have never grown them before.......they are making a grand show of colour all round the garden.
I have popped them into any bare bit of ground and they are truely earing their keep.

I have just had a look at a blown up version of the Cosmos and have discovered that the Forget-me-nots that were removed to make way for them have dropped their seeds and they are germinating - plus a great big Danelion I didn't spot before taking the picture! Ah well!



The rain has come at last to this little bit of Berkshire - not as much as I would have liked - I might still have to water the garden with the hosepipe again this evening but at least the temperature is down from the 32c degrees we had to a much more comfortable 19c.

So many plants came into flower last week just to be cooked to a frazzle in the heat - the poor Clemetis just didn't stand a chance! poppies have gone like baked brown paper and if you touch them they just crumble.........I am losing plants with the heat now, but during the winter I lost things to the cold - the two big pots of Agapantha I have had for nearly 20 years, have both succumed to the freezing temperatures, as have the Madonna Lily and the dahlias, for years they have been fine left out over winter.
One beneift from the freeze is that there don't seem to be quite so many slugs around - I read somewhere that their eggs die in very cold winters. Hooray! perhaps the hosta will be happier!

5 comments:

sewali said...

The purple quilt is just gorgeous, is it going to appear at Festival one of these years? I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the borders and the quilting.

Sewing Granny said...

I doubt if Jackie will art with it once I have given it to her - not even for a little while!
She has been watching every move I make beside choosing the fabrics......grin!

QuiltSue said...

That's a lovely quilt. Perhaps Jackie will take up quilting herself now?

Sewing Granny said...

I doubt it Sue - for one she has no money and second, sewing is something that has to be done when it's urgent - it's not a pleasure! shamr but there it is!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love the quilt! Your flowers are sooo pretty. And tomatoes......yummy. I love canned tomatoes that you can use all year long.