Sunday 19 July 2009

Quilt progress


Two of the Seminole strips for the ends of this quilt have been done, the side strips are in the process of being pinned prior to sewing.

Not long now and I will be marking up for the quilting......I have an idea what I want to do but it does depend on whether Jackie likes it - this is her quilt and she has to live with it and so far she has made all the desicions about it !....I have the cotton batting dip drying in the bath (I like to wash it before use) but before we make up the sandwich I have to buy some fabric for the backing as we didn't do that when we bought the main fabric for the top. 007 will have to find the fixings for making up the' big table' top for me - I will need it to sandwich this one! I have been managing to do the single bed quilts I have made lately, on just half the 'big table'.

(The 'big table' is the one he made to seat the whole family around for special dinner parties - it is made of two sheets of MDF with the corners rounded off and held together by brackets he made. It is supported by the diningroom table at one end and the garden table at the other. We can seat 20 round it if we need to!)



I think I am going to have to move the sewing machine down to the diningroom table to do the quilting - I just do not have the room around my machine in its present position. I will need all the support I can get too - so the ironing board will also have to go down stairs and brought into use as a table.
This may cause a few disruptions for a few days (or more) (grin!)



6 comments:

BilboWaggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sewali said...

This is going to be an absolutely stunning quilt, and HUGE! I'm going to put my wadding hat on here and suggest you don't use cotton, it's very heaving both for working with and washing (as you have no doubt realised already, but imagine it with the fabric as well and it'll double in weight). I would recommend either a good quality polyester or a washable wool.

Sewing Granny said...

I bought a cheap roll of cotton at Sandown from Kalidascope, Sewali and I have just washed it - I am having second thoughts about it.....it is Hobbs Heirloom 80% cotton 20% poly - it doesn't seem that heavy when you pick up the roll......but perhaps you are right - a good poly would be better - Jackie is allergic to wool... What do you suggest?

Sewing Granny said...

Sewali this quilt will measure about 116" x 96".

QuiltSue said...

Heirloom 80/20. I have found can also be quite stiff after it's quilted, even with minimal quilting.

BilboWaggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.