Wednesday 27 May 2009

This and That!

I thought you might like to see what I have growing in my greenhouse! this poppy seeded it's self and I didn't have the heart to pull it out! it is now 4 foot tall and has loads of flower buds.
The garden has been looking splendid too, my weigelia has been alove with bees and the sun has brought out all the flowers on the peony. I just hope todays rain doesn't make them all fall over.


We had a fun afternoon with these two terrors on Saturday - Daddy had thrown a rope over an old apple tree branch and attached a swing seat to the bottom - he then had the task of pulling them one at a time to the top of the tree and down again - Emily want to be dropped 'faster'...we were afraid her tummy wouldn't cope with it! but it seemed to! Big dipper at Alton towers next?

Granddad didn't get involved in all the pulling up the tree - even though the terrors wanted him to. This area of the garden is where the bonfire is and this lot of wood is waiting for the Boy Scouts to come and collect it for their campfire. The tree has had a lot of wood removed because it is rotting and a woodpecker is making loads of holes in the other side of the tree.....but the tree still produces more apples than the family can eat! We have no idea how old it is, but the house is a 1930's house so the chances are the tree is that old too.






We took the caravan to Upton on Severn in the middle of this month, so that I could go to the quilt show in Malvern. It was a good show this year - lots of lovely quilts and plenty of suppliers.
I met a couple of friends and we checked purchases etc. I did find that there was a lack of seating in the main hall this year - and I found I got very tired. Where they have had a row of seat in previous years they had more suppliers......

I have been making plans with my cousin Dorothy to go to Sandown in June, we will go on the Friday then I have the weekend to see the family. We are taking another couple of friends with us so we should have a fun time.








7 comments:

Hazel said...

I hope that you don't mind me straying onto your blog, Sewing Granny - we brush past each other at Bag End, of course.

We had a rope ladder in a may tree in our garden where we grew up so similar to the one your youngsters are enjoying! It's lovely to see them having so much fun in the fresh air - who says computer games are taking over the world?!

Sewing Granny said...

Hi hazel - drop by when ever you feel like. It's nice to meet you.

These are my granchildren playing round that old tree. They have such a hugh garden that there is room for a full size trampoline and a climbing frame with a hut, a climbing wall and two swings on it, they have a shed for their toys (or to use as a Wendy house), a sand play area and still room to have a football game with out getting in the way of the barbeque and table and chairs. My daughter and her husband chose this house because of the garden even though the house was smaller than their old one. The children always have friends and other family members to play. They are so lucky and make full use of it. Sarah (daughter) never minds if they dig and get dirty or play with water and get wet - what ever the weather. If you look at Emilys trousers you can see what I mean.

BilboWaggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sewing Granny said...

Bilbo I am sure that one of those bags of seeds in your fridge are from the grandmother of this poppy1 but if you would like fresh seed then I will allow this one to seed - just for you. :-))

BilboWaggins said...

Bless you, and MANY thanks!! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

QuiltSue said...

My peonies are a disaster this year. Just very leggy. That poppy is absolutely stunning, any idea what it's called?

Sewing Granny said...

Sorry Sue no idea what the poppy is called, my sone had it growing in his garden and gave me seeds!

It is a very prolific annual - I thought I had removed all the seedlings from the greenhouse but I thought wrong - this one is the only one that I have allowed to grow - but there are hundreds of small plants round my tomatoes - if I don't get stern with myself I wont be able to move in there and the toms will choke.